Circuit Court II


Honorable Kelsey Hanlon
P.O. Box 613
Spencer, IN 47460

 Owen County is served by a Unified Circuit Court System, Owen Circuit Court I and Owen Circuit Court II. Owen Circuit Court II is responsible for processing a variety of case types, including: Civil Tort, Civil Plenary, Civil Collections, Mortgage Foreclosure, Domestic Relations, Paternity, Reciprocal Support Actions, Juvenile CHINS/Child Welfare Juvenile Miscellaneous, Termination of Parental Rights, Small Claims, Protective Orders, and some Miscellaneous case types. Judge Kelsey B. Hanlon presides over the Owen Circuit Court II, taking office on January 1, 2015.
The Court also operates a CASA program, and a Commissioner’s Court. The Commissioner’s Court operates to prioritize and expedite the establishment and enforcement of Child Support Orders. Commissioner C. Thomas Spencer presides over the Commissioner’s Court.

The Owen Circuit Court II Courtroom and Office are located on the second floor of the Owen County Courthouse. The Commissioner’s Court is held on the third floor of the Courthouse in the Commissioner’s Courtroom.

Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon and 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., Mondays through Fridays.

Jury trials are usually scheduled to occur on Wednesdays. As a general rule, jury trials commence at 8:30 a.m. and conclude each day at approximately 4:00 p.m. with a one hour lunch break. Individuals who are summonsed for jury duty are notified in advance of their potential selection for jury duty and are asked to complete and return a jury questionnaire. Any individual who seeks to be excused from jury duty must provide such a request in writing and provide a physician’s statement if the reason for excuse is a medical condition. Jury duty can also be deferred for a brief period of time. Such a deferral requires a written request as well.

The Judge, Child Support Commissioner, and Court Staff are prohibited from providing legal advice to anyone. However, information is available at regarding certain legal forms that individuals may use if they wish to proceed on their own in filing pleadings with the Court. Often individuals will telephone the court staff or personally appear in an attempt to ask for a ruling by the Judge. The Court cannot take action on such requests. Any request for Court action must be made in writing, must comply with the Indiana Trial Rules and must be filed with the Court or Owen Circuit Court Clerk. If appropriate, these written requests for Court action will be scheduled for hearing. The Court does not accept the filing of any pleadings by fax or by e-mail.